Sunday, November 23, 2008

Susan's Heritage and the World Project 2nd Post

November 23, 2008

I found out that my family helped to establish the town of West Branch, Michigan. This is in up-north where lots of my family lives. Our name is on lots of roads, stores, schools, and other things there. My family there also has lots of farms. I think most of these farms have cows and land to plant. I know one of my uncles has a dairy farm, so he uses his cows to make milk. I have been there and seen this once before. I want to go back and ask questions to help with my project but my mom doesn't know when we can go there. I think it is SO COOL that my family started a town. My mom doesn't think that we are related to the Frankenmuth Raus directly. I think this means that they might be related but from forever and ever ago. Drats, no free candy. :-/ I also found out that he was a part of a "sit-down strike." I don't really know what this means, but maybe someone can help me or I can ask him when he has time. I want to know more about how he built cars. I wonder if I still have family in Germany. That might be a fun trip, but it's really far away.

~Susan

3 comments:

Rashel said...

Susan,

This sounds like you are off to a great start. I think you should do some online research about the GM Sit-Down Strike. This was a really big event and it is fascinating that your grandfather was a part of this. Keep up the great work and connecting those ideas!

~Miss Fredell

Rashel said...

How big is the town your family built? I wish my family did something cool like that. All they did was work on farms with pigs. :-/ By the way, pigs are very smelly.

~Beth

Rashel said...

Beth,

That is still very cool that your family worked on farms. Pigs are very important parts of most people's diets. Maybe you should look into the history of the importance of pigs.

~Miss Fredell